Residents react to the opening of a sex shop opposite the children’s and science museums


RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) – “Hustler Holywood” sex shop chain is plans to open its first location in Richmond. But the proximity of the Children’s Museum of Richmond and the Science Museum of Virginia raises eyebrows among residents.

Neighboring resident Rebecca Fergusson has a three-year-old son. Speaking to 8News on Wednesday, she told 8News that ultimately it was her responsibility to teach him.

“My job as a parent is to help guide him in the right direction and even though he may be exposed to certain things, it’s my job to teach him right from wrong,” she said. declared. “Although I don’t think it’s a good idea if that’s the case [open]it won’t be the end of the world.

Another man, Jonathan Marcus, told 8News he disagreed with the store’s location and questions the city’s decision to allow it.

“There is obviously a certain sensitivity to having a sex shop in the neighborhood and if there is [wasn’t] sensitivity, there would be no prescription to begin with,” Marcus said.

However, 2nd District Councilwoman Katherine Jordan told 8News that the Hustler Hollywood store does not need city council approval to open because it is not considered an adult entertainment business or a library. The application filed with the city defined the store as a general retail store, according to the city’s Planning and Development Review Department.

Another nearby resident, Dina Mitchell, said the outrage some have at the adult store is a bit overblown given the building – formerly a Pizza Hut – has been vacant for a long time.

“I don’t think we should get a crowd together and make sure they don’t come to town,” Mitchell said. “We have to let them open up and see what they’re going to do, and maybe that’s not a problem.”

According to Hustler Hollywood’s business description, “there will be no adult books, magazines or DVDs” on the site and 80% of its floor space would be reserved for items such as lingerie, t -shirts, fancy candies and condoms. The remaining 20% ​​of its products are said to be in the adult novelty realm, including “anatomically correct massagers and other similar products, according to the filing.

8News has reached out to Hustler Hollywood for comment but is still awaiting a response.


Comments are closed.